On Nov. 17, 1967 (50 years ago) we were founded, on May 6, 1968 we were colonized as a chapter in Sigma Nu, and on May 10, 1970 we were chartered as Chapter #171 (Theta Kappa) in Sigma Nu Fraternity also known as the Legion of Honor. We were originally chartered with 32 members, but we have added over 20 additional founding and early alumni members over the years, including our primary founder, Robert G. Williams, ΘΚ 258, on Nov. 15, 1986. Now with close over 900 members and closing in quickly on 1000 initiates, we celebrate our 50th anniversary since our founding and we begin the approach our 50th anniversary in 2020, but each year we celebrate this date. This year is also special in that we end the school year of what has arguably been one of the best years of Theta Kappa certainly in recent memory.
Hail Theta Kappa! Hail Sigma Nu! Hail GSU! ΣΝΕΤΤ!
Each year we celebrate the anniversaries of our dedicated members who made it all happen.
At Homecoming 2017 we celebrate the 50th anniversary of our founding!
With that in mind we are establishing yet another tradition for our Homecoming celebrations - each year we will celebrate the "5x Reunion" of candidate class initiation into the Theta Kappa Brotherhood. It is simple - you take the year of Homecoming, 2017 in this case, and you subtract multiples of 5 years to determine which class years we will specially honor. We want everyone to attend, but we will specially honor specific classes so that those alumni who cannot make the pilgrimage each year they will know the years that they should specially plan for and where the most of their initiate class and chapter peers will attend. To keep it simple we will tell you what it is:
2016 (6 & 1): 1970, 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011
- In 2016 that is: 0042-0064, 0115-0127, 0174-0185, 0242-0272, 0380-0402, 0477-0493, 0599, 0695-0701, 0744-0780
- We always celebrate our founders and chartering year: 0001-0041, 0258-0271, 0300, 0329-0330, 0500
2017 (2 & 7): 1970, 1972, 1977, 1982, 1987, 1992, 1997, 2002, 2012
2018 (3 & 8): 1970, 1973, 1978, 1983, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2013
2019 (4 & 9): 1970, 1974, 1979, 1984, 1989, 1994, 1999, 2004, 2009, 2014
2020 (5 & 0): 1970, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, 2010, 2015
Each member will be given an anniversary certificate and an alumni pin marking thier five (5x) year (in 5 year increments) anniversary, since their initiation in Theta Kappa of Sigma Nu.
We are also going to keep the Homecoming celebration easy to remember - it will follow a similar format and organization each year, so whether you get an invite or not, you know when Homecoming is, you will know what we are doing, you will know you are always welcome, and you can plan on it!. The only thing we will do is enhance or add activities to the schedule. Some other things to remember:
- Homecoming will always have a fees or costs of $45-$75 unless otherwise announced.
- We would like you to register & pay in advance. You can always come here to pay/register.
- We will have a golf tournament every year on Friday - we will try to start around 10:00 am.
- We will always have a Alumni Welcome Reception (usually off-site) on Friday at around 6:00 pm.
- We will have various activities on Friday & Saturday night, which be the biggest variable.
- We will always have our Alumni Meeting at 10:00 am on Saturday (+/- 30 minutes).
- We will always have our Traditional Tailgate Lunch & Game Day celebration at 11:30 am on Saturday.
- We will always have a positive environment - it will be spouse, parent, family & kid friendly.
- We will always have a drug-free environment - illegal drug use will be referred to the Police.
- We know that everyone has different circumstances and availability, so try to come and stay for 1 day, 2 days, 3 days or more - you will enjoy yourself!
- Hotel rooms are at a premium, but they are available. Most hotels require a two night minimum and many will require you book for both Friday and Saturday nights. We do not have a block of rooms, but if you would like to arrange and manage it now and in the future, please let the Alumni Commander know.
If you have ideas, suggestions, complaints or would like to volunteer to help, we would love to hear from you. Please contact the Alumni Commander or officers - thier contact information may be located by clicking here.
Register / RSVP Now!